With the countdown well and truly started for Christmas. We here at Two’s Company know that the struggle is real for guys when it comes to picking a present for their other half. Whether you’ve just recently began dating or are in a long-term relationship, the choices are endless, and the pressure is on to get the perfect present. Do you go all in and blow the budget on an extravagant present for the sake of it? Or is a more thoughtful present the way to go.
With so many options, it’s hard to know what would make the perfect gift. It’s important to remember that the most important part of buying a gift for anyone is to make them feel like you really know them. With a little consideration, you can be sure to see a happy face when she opens her gift.
With that in mind, here’s our top tips when it comes to present buying:
- Plan ahead – Don’t wait until the last minute, your options are limited, and no-one likes panic buying. With time on your side you can decide on a romantic gesture or present that fits the occasion. It also gives you time to order online to bag a bargain or something that isn’t available in the shops.
- Brainstorm ideas – Take some time to come up with three lists: a list of things she likes, a list of things you like about her, and a list of things you have in common. Use these as inspiration for ideas. For example, if you know she loves cooking, you could get her an apron printed with a funny picture or an inside joke you both get.
- Choose a practical gift – While many people appreciate practical gifts – be careful with this option. You don’t want to give something too boring or mundane. A good question to ask yourself is, “Is this something she will eventually wind up buying for herself if I don’t?” If the answer is yes, don’t buy it. A good gift should be something she loves and/or can use, but she would not buy for herself.
- Use recent conversations – It is entirely possible that she intentionally dropped a hint about something she may want. Or maybe you two have talked about something she’s really into lately, which can help guide your gift. Using what she says as a source of inspiration will ensure you get her something she genuinely likes and show her that you listen to what she says. It’s a win-win!
- Check out her social media – This is a fantastic resource for figuring out what she wants without asking her directly. You can see what pages she likes, make note of brands or products she follows. Just make sure you’re not buying her something that she already owns.
- Ask her what she wants – Be smart and cautious with this option. Some ladies will appreciate your consideration in asking, while others may see it as you not willing or able to make the effort by choosing the gift yourself. If you do ask her for help, avoid just asking, “What do you want?” Instead, ask her for a list of things or types of things she’s had her eye on. This way she won’t know exactly what she’s getting
Following some or all these tips should help ease the stress in present buying this Christmas. Just remember that a little thought and effort goes a long way. Ultimately no matter what present you finally decide on, it’s the thought that counts and spending time enjoying the festive season together while making memories and traditions should mean more.